Gisborne is on the East coast of the North island of New Zealand. It is the first in the world that sees the sun rise each day. It is also known as “Tairawhiti” in the Maori language which translates to the “Light reflects and shines across the water” It is a serene place to chill and take your mind off the hustle and bustle of daily life which makes it enjoyable and relaxing.
The Gisborne region is home to a population of around forty five thousand. Its beaches are uncrowded and have the best weather all year round. Kiwi travels offers cheap flights to Gisborne which is a fabulous seaside destination that is the first city to see the light of day.
With its warm sunny summers and mild winters it is known to be one of the sunniest places in New Zealand. The district is known for its rich agriculture in the growing of grapes, kiwifruit, maize, citrus and tropical fruits. It is a hilly district which is suited for grazing. Deer, goat, sheep and cattle are farmed and raised here.
Gisborne combines old and new with it’s brimful of restaurants, wine bars. Cafes and boutiques. Whereas the wide streets of age-old ancient buildings and country side speak of the past. Call us at Kiwi travels to book your cheap flights to Gisborne now!
The climate here is sunny and bright with a record of high sunshine hours. There is limited rain here.
Things to do:
- Eastwoodhill Arboretum – Holds a wide range of north and south hemisphere trees. It is a recreation site with bird watching, walking, picnics, functions, conferences and many other events that are held here.
- Tairawhiti Museum – Exhibits that focus on the east coast Maori culture and colonial history.
- East Coast Museum of Technology – is something for everyone. It has a bizarre collection of very unusual items, which include railway equipment, fire engines, military vehicles and much more.
- Dive Tatapouri – Witness sea life and creatures with this experience that is truly magical. It is recommended to be comfortable with sea creatures in order to do this.
- Morere hot springs – The best place for relaxing in the natural spring waters. You could bird watch and hike. Known to be the best place for both winter and summer.
- Wineries - Famous for its world class award winning wines, the Gisborne wineries is a must do. Some of the few vineyards you could visit are Matawhero,Montana and Longbush wines. There is also the Millton estate vineyard. The visitor information centre provides details and times of wine tours and visits that are available.
The best cuisine is served at Gibson’s marina where there’s a bunch of flavorful restaurants and cafes with al fresco seating that give you the best view of the harbor. You could take a walk after a belly full of food afterwards along the riverside and explore its beauty.
If you are all about adventure, you can choose from deep sea fishing, jet boating, diving, river adventures, white water rafting, surfing, hunting and horse trekking. Gisborne holds the largest native forest that is a part of Urewera national park. You could also drive up to the east coast and around to its bustling beaches and witness its rich Maori culture and communities that are unique and distinctive in character.
Book with Kiwi travels and grab the best deals with cheap flights to Gisborne now!