Commonly called Palmerston or Palmy by the locals. Palmerston North is the main town of the Manawatu-Wanganui region of the north island in New Zealand.
The city is located inland, set within the eastern Manawatu Plains, close to the north bank of the Manawatu River. Call Kiwi travels to inquire about cheap flights to Palmerston North now.
One of New Zealand’s largest provincial cities, Palmerston North has a historic heart. Several of the initial stores that were built in the 1920’s are restored and currently operate as restaurants, cafes and boutiques. Rose gardens and museums are a must do and ought to be on your agenda when visiting Palmerston. The Victoria Esplanade gardens and also the Te Manawa gallery should be on your list of things to see. For sports enthusiasts, the rugby museum is a vital stop. Palmerston North is known for its fascinating dramatic productions, so make sure to check what’s showing at the local theatres. For exceptional scenery, walk the glorious Manawatu Gorge. Kiwi travels offers cheap flights to Palmerston North, call us now to make a booking.
Palmerston North's climate is temperate with most daytime temperatures averaging 22 °C in summer and 12 °C in winter. On the average temperatures rise to 25 °C, thereby presenting quite warm weather.
Things to do
- Owlcatraz – Witness some unique birds in motion at this natural native wildlife park. There are no caged birds, and they all roam in a free environment for you to see and experience. There are caves and farms here to explore too.
- The NZ rugby museum – Learn about the famous sport in NZ here. The museum lists about 37,000 items that date back to the 1800’s. You could also take a shot at practicing your rugby skills here.
- Te Manawa – A museum of science, history and art, houses and displays the region’s culture and history, with over 55,000 artifacts on display.
- The Victoria Esplanade gardens – located near the northern side of the Manawatu river, the gardens showcase green bush land, with fun things to do with your family which include an aviary, mini railway, walking tracks, a duck pond and cafe. The infamous Dugald McKenzie Rose garden is also a part of it.
- Lido aquatic centre – is one Palmerston North’s biggest. It includes fun things to do with your family like an outdoor pool, leisure pool, heated pool, spa pool and restaurant.
- Theatres – Centrepoint and Regent on Broadway theatres are quite the performing arts facility that focuses on prominent performance artists and shows.
- Manawatu Gorge – is a scenic route that divides the two mountains Tararua and Ruahine. The best way to explore the Gorge will be hike/walk the track, or jet boat.
Mother Nature has invested in Palmerston North and also the Manawatu region with endless opportunities to explore in the spectacular outdoors, from short walks in splendid native bush, day walks through the beautiful Manawatu Gorge, to tramping within the majestic Ruahine, or Tararua mountain ranges. You can easily reserve your cheap flights and accommodation to Palmerston North with Kiwi Travels. If you are looking for a family outing or just a relaxing vacation, save time and book with us now, call us at Kiwi travels for more information on good deals and the best flights on offer.