Timaru is a port in the Canterbury region which is in the south of New Zealand. It is just off 160km south of Christchurch and 200km north of Dunedin nestled in the Pacific ocean of the south island. Timaru means ‘Place of Shelter’ (Te Maru) in the Maori dialect.
Caroline Bay beach is an infamous recreational area placed near Timaru's city centre, to the north of the substantial port facilities.
Timaru is based on rolling hills created from the volcanic rock magma flows of the extinct Mt horrible volcano which erupted several thousands of years ago. This resulted in almost all of the streets undulating, a transparent distinction with the flat landscape of the Canterbury plains to the north. This rock is utilized for the construction for the development of native "bluestone" buildings. Kiwi travels is offering cheap flights to Timaru, call us now to make a reservation.
The second largest town in Canterbury, Timaru sits midway between Dunedin and Christchurch metropolis. It’s everything you would like for a nice stopover. Caroline bay encompasses a safe swimming beach, a beautifully landscaped public square, a maze and walks. A set of restaurants and cafes link the beach to the main area that holds many boutiques and shops. If you’re thirsty, take a tour of the native brewery. The city’s glorious museum has moa-hunter artifacts and unique kinds of whaling relics. There is an art gallery that holds the largest public art ensemble in Timaru. This city has several grand Victorian and Edwardian buildings, made in native volcanic sandstone. So have an eye out for its amazing architecture and surroundings. Call us at Kiwi travels for more information on amazingly cheap flights to Timaru.
The weather in Timaru includes a dry temperate climate kind of like that of its neighbor Christchurch and Ashburton city. Temperatures are usually warm in the summer and cold in winter.
Things to do here:
- Canterbury Museum – It holds the regions natural heritage and history.
- Te Ana Ngai Tahu art center – Explore and discover rock art at this newly opened center.
- Caroline Bay – Pack a picnic and have lunch at the sunny sandy beach, explore and have fun at the carnival, and take a walk at the boardwalk alongside the playgrounds. You vcould also enjoy a bite at a cafe or go skate at the skating rink.
- Hunting – Go hunting for alpine chamois, tahr, deer, wallaby, rabbits or wild boar.
- Golf – in the lushest green and welcoming country clubs.
- Ski – at the many fields in close proximity to Timaru.
- Walking and Hiking – walk or hike the alpine terrain or the coast. Most hikes could go up to a day.
- Cycling or biking – Timaru has a range of biking and cycling routes throughout the city and country.
- CBay Aquatic centre – If you are the adventure driven, then visit here with family or friends, enjoy rides like the hydro slides and others.
Make a stop in Timaru and enjoy the beachside attractions of Caroline Bay. You’ll notice a mini golf area, a maze, and aviary and of course lush green gardens tremendously beautiful walking paths.
Timaru owes its existence to the shelter provided by reefs of coagulated volcanic rock or bluestone, from old extinct volcano on the far side of the city, named mount horrible. Early Maori canoeing down the coast named Te Maru, or the shelter as it was called. Timaru boasts of several points of interest, as well as one amongst the biggest artificial harbors in the world. It is infamously known for its extremely safe beach called Caroline bay, gardens, parks, stunning churches, Edwardian design, art, theatre and museum. There is at least one thing or another to intrigue your whole family in region that takes pride in its several assets. Call us at Kiwi travels to book your cheap flights to Timaru now.